What is a green school? ECHS knows it goes beyond the buildings.
It's about holistic education and partnerships in their community.
It's how 97% of their graduates exceed the admission requirements of the UC/CSU System despite the fact that 80% are also financially disadvantaged.
They are one of only three Green Ribbon Schools in Southern CA. This award recognizes excellence in environmental and sustainability education. Some highlights include:
- A recycling rate of over 85%
- CHPS & LEED EB Certification
- 25% class time is outdoors in a recycled-concrete urban outdoor amphitheater
- Students worked with permaculture experts to create a natural stream that now runs through the center of the urban campus
- A group of students successfully presented a proposal to change food vendors to one that supports the school’s mission, with locally grown food, low-waste compostable packaging, and healthier food
- Students made their own biodiesel fuel
- Students invite their community into their lessons, hosting composting workshops and campus tours, and engaging in projects to restore the L.A. watershed
|A water catchment system collects 600,000 gallons of water a year from 11" of rain.|
|Students tend to raised gardens, chicken and rabbit coops, and green walls.|
|A student-run bicycle repair shop encourages students and staff to ride rather than drive.|